I am an East German freelance print and online journalist based in Berlin, passionately writing about politics, migration, digitalization, health and development. My stories are published in English and German newspapers or magazines. I also moderate panels and produce radio features.
I studied political science and journalism at the University of Leipzig and the Institut d’Etudes Politiques in Toulouse. Later I trained in Nuremberg before moving back to the East: to Dresden, as state correspondent for the dapd news agency. Between 2011 and 2016 I was the author and editor of the monthly magazine for political culture Cicero in Berlin, edited its online and social media channels.
In 2016, I participated in the program of the Robert Bosch Foundation “Media Ambassadors India – Germany” where I was based in Delhi and wrote for The Indian Express. There I’ve discovered my passion for cross-border journalism and became a frequent India traveler. Back home I am contributing to the Indo-German Media Association as a treasurer. I’ve also covered the presidential elections in 2017 in France, reported from Israel, Transnistria or Nigeria, following the poisonous trail of used lead-acid batteries.
I am a member of the German investigative researchers’ association “netzwerk recherche” and jury member of the News Enlightenment Initiative , which annually selects the top ten neglected topics in the media. Recently I’ve been elected to the arbitral tribunal of the German Journalists Association Berlin JVBB.
Awards and achievements:
– Winner of the Otto von Habsburg Prize 2018, awarded by the European Association of Daily Newspapers in Minority and Regional Languages, for
excellent reporting on minorities
– Awarded the Otto Brenner Foundation research grant 2018
– Nominee of the German Journalist Prize of the German Stock Market – djp Mobility & Logistics 2018
– Global Health Journalism Grant 2018 of the European Journalism Center and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for the project “Poisonous Lead”, exposing
hazardous conditions in the production of lead for Western car batteries in Nigeria
– Winner of the Global Health Journalism Grant 2017 of the European Journalism Center and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation for the project
“Silicosis – The Silent Killer”, investigating the deadly lung disease of sand stone miners in India’s state Rajasthan
– Fellow of the Media Ambassador India-Germany program of the Bosch Foundation 2016
– Selection under “The 500” of the media portal newsroom.de
– Alumni of the German Academic Scholarship Foundation and the German Academic Exchange Service DAAD